Sprint, Bell Pre Customers Get Palm WebOS 1.3.1 Update
Palm webOS 1.3.1 has the follow nuggets of goodness baked in:
- Backup now includes browser cookies
- Backup no longer saves online account passwords
- Yahoo! now appears as a Calendar synchronization account. Open Calendar > application menu > Preferences & Accounts > Add An Account > Yahoo!
- All-day events that span more than one day now appear correctly in all Calendar views.
- If you create a Google calendar event on the phone and the event location contains an apostrophe, the event now correctly synchronizes with Google online.
- After taking a picture, if you tap the picture thumbnail in the lower-left corner of the camera screen, the picture now opens in full-screen view, not Thumbnails view. Making the back gesture returns you to the camera.
- Yahoo! now appears as a Contacts synchronization account. You can download contacts from Yahoo! online to the phone by opening Contacts > application menu > Preferences & Accounts > Add An Account > Yahoo!
- Automatic contact linking based on name matches occurs only if the first and last name fields are populated with the same names. If either field is blank, the Contacts app no longer links the contacts. In addition, the Contacts app no longer automatically links contacts with the same name but with different suffixes (such as Jr. and Sr.).
- If you set up Contacts to synchronize with a Google account, the account synchronizes only entries in Google's My Contacts, not all contacts.
- If you copy a music file to the phone and then delete it, Device Info now shows the correct amount of available memory after the deletion.
- Forwarded and replied-to messages include improved formatting, such as the original sender's email address in forwarded messages and correct inline image display in replies.
- The list of mail types available in manual setup now includes Google Apps (Hosted Google Domains) and Yahoo! Small Business Domain email accounts. Selecting one of these types automatically enters the correct settings for these accounts.
- Yahoo! IM is available as an instant messaging account.
- You can select a unique ringtone for new message alerts: Open Messaging > application menu > Preferences & Accounts > Sound > Ringtone.
- You can forward a text or multimedia message by tapping the message > Forward.
- You can copy the text of a text or multimedia message by tapping the message > Copy Text.
- If the you are on a call, calendar notifications no longer partially cover the End Call icon.
Screen & Lock
- A new Secure Unlock preference allows you to set the time interval the phone is idle before the phone locks, requiring you to enter the PIN/password to unlock the phone. This can be the same as or different from the interval after which the screen turns off. To set the preference: Open Screen & Lock > Lock After.
- Backup now includes browser cookies, so that after a restart, for example, if you stored your username and password on a web-based email site, you can continue to access the site without needing to log in.
- If you tap to play a YouTube video embedded on a web page, the YouTube application launches and the video plays in the app.
There are some other interesting changes in the Palm webOS operating system. The first is that you can now press and hold the Orange key and tap an application icon to pull up information about the application. Pressing and holding down the Power button now gives you more control over what the device does: turn Airplane mode on or off or Restart or Shutdown/Swap Battery.
To read the complete list of feature updates included in Palm webOS 1.3.1, visit the Palm website. The 1.3.1 update is reported to become available for Europen GSM Pre customers by the end of November.