BlackBerry Bold Goes on Sale at AT&T
As promised, the new RIM BlackBery Bold has gone on sale today at AT&T. Of the new corporate-minded device, AT&T writes:
"Get the fastest BlackBerry on the fastest 3G network. The global BlackBerry® Bold™ smartphone is designed to give business professionals both cutting edge functionality and performance under one bold intuitive design. It comes fully-loaded with integrated GPS for AT&T Navigator and Wi-Fi for access at thousands of AT&T hotspots nationwide, including Starbucks. The BlackBerry Bold smartphone has a brilliant color LCD screen for exceptional definition and clarity. Pictures are vibrant and sharp while videos play smoothly and web pages, documents, presentations, and messages come to life with exceptional quality and contrast. Get more speed and more power with the BlackBerry Bold."
The BlackBerry Bold's features include:
- Half-VGA (480 x 320 at 217 ppi) color display
- A newly designed full QWERTY keyboard for exceptionally fast and easy typing
- Built-in GPS and Wi-Fi radios
- 624 MHz mobile processor
- More storage — 1 GB on board and up to 16 GB via its microSD/SDHC expansion slot
- Advanced media player for music, videos and photos
- 2 megapixel camera with built-in flash, zoom and video recording
- optimized Web-browsing experience with desktop-style depiction
- DataViz Documents To Go for editing Word, Excel and PowerPoint files
The complete list of the Bold's features and technical specifications can be found on the AT&T website.
The new BlackBerry Bold retails for $549.99 without a contract commitment from AT&T. When you sign up for a 2-year service agreement, the price drops down to $399.99. Additionally, AT&T is offering a $100 mail-in rebate which brings the cost of the device down to $299.99. To take advantage of the mail-in rebate, customers will have to sign up for a $35/month data or messaging plan. That shouldn't be a deal breaker for most customers as a BlackBerry without the data service isn't very useful.